Fun with Dictionaries!
Here is a summary of the information you can find in a dictionary:
- The correct spelling of a word
- A definition, description, or “what it means”
- All the definitions of a word because sometimes a word has many different meanings
- How many definitions does the word organ have?
- Sometimes, there is a picture of the word
- It tells you if the word is a noun (n), verb (v), adjective (adj).
- You can see how many syllabables a word has
- for example, hip•po•pot•a•mus
- It shows you how to sound out the word using a pronunciation
- for example, what’s the word for \’pe\käk ?